Are you planning a seaside vacation? After choosing the dates and place, check the water temperature on the coast! The temperature of sea water depends on the season, sea currents, wind and location. Average sea temperatures from satellites that constantly monitor the world’s oceans refer to sea surface temperatures, including the few meters above where you will be swimming and snorkeling with lifeguard training.
The temperature of the sea water varies around the world: the maximum is about 34°C in the Persian Gulf, and the minimum is about -2°C at the poles (and it does not freeze!). A comfortable bathing temperature is considered to be between 18°C and 26°C, although this depends on your preferences. On the surface, the water is warmer, but the deeper you dive, the colder it gets (relevant for divers).
Places with the warmest sea for recreation
By looking at the annual averages of some of the most popular European resorts in the height of summer, you can choose the highest sea temperatures:
- Algarve, Portugal – maximum temperature around 21°C, August-September.
- Tenerife, Canary Islands – sea temperature – 23°C from August to October.
- Mallorca, Balearic Islands – around 25°C in August.
- Cyprus – peak temperature around 27°C in August.
- Alanya, Turkey – In August, the temperature reaches 28°C.
If you’re hoping for even warmer temperatures, you’ll have to consider traveling further – usually to the tropics. Popular places with sea temperatures exceeding 28°C include:
- Bali, Indonesia – From November to May, the temperature reaches 29°C.
- Cancun, Mexico – Temperatures reach 29°C from July to October.
- Cuba – maximum temperature around 30°C in August.
- Sri Lanka – maximum temperature around 30°C in April.
- Dubai, UAE – In August, the temperature reaches 33°C.
The best time to swim in the Black Sea
In April, the water near the Black Sea coast warms up to + 10 ° C, only trained people can swim for no more than 2-3 minutes.
In May, the water warms up to +16°C: more people are already swimming, but this invigorating procedure should not last longer than 5-7 minutes of active swimming or gymnastics. Doctors do not recommend swimming in the cool April sea for people with cardiovascular diseases.
In June, the temperature reaches +22°C, the swimming season is open, although children do not need to swim for a long time yet.
July: the sea warmed up to +24°C, all age groups swim, you can stay in the water for up to 40 minutes without harming your health.
In August, the temperature reaches 26-27°C, it is customary to call such water “fresh milk”. But there is bad news: pathogenic bacteria multiply in water at a temperature of + 27 ° C, which is associated with outbreaks of rotavirus diseases. The most beneficial for health, skin, immunity will be sea baths at a water temperature of up to + 22-24 ° C.
Swimming in the sea with children
Comfortable bathing temperature for children is above 22°C.
Keep children out of the water immediately after a long exposure to the sun.
The optimal time for swimming is 7-15 minutes: during this time you can swim and swim.
Wipe the child dry: this will prevent sunburn on the skin.
Warm water and ideal snorkeling conditions don’t always go hand in hand. Shallow reefs thrive in high sea temperatures, and corals require very clean seas. If you’re hoping to combine warm seas with some of the best corals on your vacation, there are certain destinations to choose from:
- Caribbean – especially Belize, Cayman Islands and Bonaire
- Red Sea – Sharm El Sheikh, Hurghada in Egypt
- Southeast Asia – Philippines, eastern Indonesia
- Western Pacific – Australia ‘s Great Barrier Reef