If you’re like most businesses, then you want to make sure that your mobile app is as user-friendly as possible. And with so many different languages spoken around the world, it can be tough to translate your app into those languages. But don’t worry – we can help!
What is Translating?
Translating is the process of turning written or electronic content from one language into another. Translation can be done manually, but is more often done through automated software programs.
How to Translate a Mobile App
If you are translating a mobile app, there are some general steps that you should take.
First, gather all of the source text files for your app. This includes the content of your app’s text and graphics files, as well as any user interface or localization files. Next, start by reviewing the original source language for your app and making sure that all of the text is properly translated. Make sure that all translations are accurate and complete, and that they follow standard English grammar rules. Finally, proofread each translation to make sure that it is error-free.
The Different Types of Translation
When translating a mobile app to other languages, there are three main types of translation required:
- Interface and User Interface Translation: This is the most visible type of translation as it is the interface that users see when using the app. This includes translations for user interface text, buttons, menus, and other elements.
- Back-End Translation: This type of translation involves the code that makes up the back-end of the app. This includes translations for server code, database tables, and other elements.
- Localization: This is the process of translating all content in the app into the desired language. This includes translations for text, images, videos, and other elements.
The Process of Translation
Translation is a difficult and time-consuming process, which can be frustrating for both the translator and the client. However, when translated applications are properly executed, they can lead to increased brand awareness and better customer service.
Here are five tips for translating a mobile app:
- Keep the Application Structure Consistent Across Languages
When translating an application, it’s important to keep the application structure consistent across languages. This means that all of the app’s menus, buttons, and other interface elements should be translated accurately and quickly. In addition, any images or videos used in the application should also be translated into the appropriate language.
- Use Precise Language Translation Standards
When translating an application, it’s important to use precise language translation standards. This way, the translations will be accurate and consistent across all languages. Additionally, using standardized translation tools can help to speed up the translation process.
- Use Machine Translation When Possible
If machine translation is available, it should be used whenever possible in order to speed up the translation process. Additionally, using machine translation can help reduce errors in translations.
Tips for Successful Translation
Translation is often seen as a daunting task, but with a little preparation and creativity, it can be made much easier. Here are some tips for translating mobile apps:
- Start with the basics. Make sure that all the text in your app is well-translated, and that all the menus and buttons are properly labeled. This will make it easier for translators to work with your app.
- Use online tools to help you translate your app. There are many online translation services that you can use to get started, such as Moxveda or Microsoft Translator. These tools will allow you to easily translate entire sentences or paragraphs at a time, making the translation process faster and easier.
- Use human translators when possible. Although online tools can be helpful, they may not always be accurate or up-to-date. Sometimes it’s best to go with a human translator who is familiar with the language and the context of your app. This will ensure that your translations are accurate and reflect the tone of your app accurately.
- Balance accuracy with readability. When translating your app, it’s important to keep both accuracy and readability in mind. Make sure