How to write meta descriptions for SEO
Most of the newbie bloggers don’t know how to write meta descriptions for SEO. Even, one of the common mistakes Amateur Bloggers make is, not using suitable and compelling blog descriptions.
Writing a good blog description is a part of on-page SEO for a blog.
Writing an eye-catching meta description will only take a few minutes. Here’s the complete guide on how to write meta descriptions for SEO.
What is Blog Description or Meta Description?
Anytime you perform a Google search, what do you see?
Of Course, you see a page with some blue links. This blue link at the top is the Title of the site or blog and the sentence below that is the description of that site.
Example of Meta Description
How many characters to use in a meta description?
I strongly recommend keeping the length of the meta description between 50 to 158 characters.
What is the importance of meta description?
Does meta description affect SEO?
You should know that search engines highlight keywords in the description when any search query is matched. This bold text can draw the attention of searchers which results in the improvement of the CTR of your home page.
How CTR affect the ranking of a blog?
Tips to write a meta description
- Always add the main keyword on which your blog is focused into meta description.
- Use personal words like “You” and “I” as most people like to be addressed.
- Write a short summary of your services or products, but don’t write a list of all the products.
- Do not use quotation marks in the description. Because Google will cut off the description at the quotation mark while showing it on an SERP. To prevent this, remove all non-alphanumeric characters from the description.
- Include a call-to-action like “Try for free”, “Learn more here”, “Find out more!”, , “Get it now”, etc.
- Do not trick visitor to click on your blog by writing misleading description which does not match with your content. Google penalizes the sites when misleading meta descriptions lure visitors into clicking. And this will also increase the bounce rate, which is bad for SEO.
- Use TotheWeb preview tool to check how your Page Title & Meta Description will look like on the Google SERP.
How to write a meta description?
Option 1 – Adding meta description using Yoast SEO plug-in in WordPress:-
If you are using Yoast SEO, you can add blog description in the “meta description” section using the steps shown in the picture below.
Option 2 – Adding meta description using Rank Math plug-in in WordPress:-
If you are using Rank Math, you can add a blog description in the “Homepage meta description” section using the steps shown in the picture below.
Option 3 – Adding meta description in Blogger:-
If you are using Blogger, you can add a blog description in the “description” section using the steps shown in the picture below.
More Examples of Blog Description